How to Troubleshoot Printer Problems on my Windows PC?
Printer is an important output device. Especially for the office it is important. If do not work on the printer occasionally, then we are in trouble. So the engineer is needed to call.Many times the engineers are not available during the time of need.And if they do, they have a lot of costly visits.Today, we will discuss about some simple troubleshooting tips that can fix this problem by your own hand. Here’s some tips to Troubleshoot Printer Problems on Windows PC.
Connect your printer:
The first steps are, Verify your printer is plugged in, powered on, and connected to your computer. When you connect a printer to your PC or your home network, you can usually start printing right away. Generally, windows supports most of the printers, and you probably won’t have to go out of your way to install special printer software. But, if you’re using Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 types of version, additional printer support and drivers are available through Windows Update. Know how to connect printer:
- Click on Start button then go to Devices and Printers option.
- You can get Add a printer option. Click on it.
- In the Add Printer wizard, click on Add a local printer.
- On the Choose a printer port page, make sure that the Use an existing port button and the recommended printer port are selected, after that click on Next button.
- On the Install the printer driver page, select the printer manufacturer and model, then click Next button.
- Then click Finish.
But remember, if your printer isn’t listed, click Windows Update, and then wait while Windows checks for additional drivers.
Check your Hardware:
You should make sure before printing that the printer’s electrical cord is plugged into an electrical outlet and the power switch is turned on.Besides , if you’re printing to a shared printer on a network, make sure that all necessary computers and routers are also turned on too. If your printer is plugged in to a surge protector or a backup power supply, then make sure that hardware is plugged in and turned on as well.If you’re using a wired printer, this is important to make sure that the printer cable is properly connected from the printer to your PC. Otherwise, it won’t work.
However, note that You can use troubleshooting option if you need. A troubleshooter is an automated tool of a PC that can find and automatically fix some problems with PC. The printing troubleshooter can fix problems with installing and connecting to a printer.
Check the Paper:
Ensure your printer is in proper working state. Verify that the printer has paper loaded if it isn’t printing. Even if you’ve loaded paper, you may need to properly align the paper so that the printer can use it. Check the inside of the printer to ensure that there isn’t paper jam preventing in printer from working. If there is paper jam, then you may need to manually remove the jammed paper and clear things up. After that, your printer may starting work.
Check the Ink or Toner:
You’ll need enough ink for an inkjet printer or toner for a laser printer before print. Even if you’re just printing in black-and-white, some inkjet printers may refuse to print at all until you refill their color ink. How to check my printers ink levels on Windows? To check ink levels,
- First, Open the Devices and Printers window in Windows. (You also can do it by opening the Control Panel and clicking ‘View devices and printers’ under Hardware and Sound.)You may able to select a printer by clicking on it and view this information at the bottom of the window.
- Right click on a printer.
- Select Properties.
- Here’s you can see the ink levels of your windows.
Check the Print Queue Dialog:
If you couldn’t find any problem but your printer still isn’t working then check your printers queue dialog. Because, the printing problem could also be caused by issues with Windows. To check or open a printers queue:
- Right-click on that printer.
- Go to Devices & Printers window.
- Select See whats printing.
- If you see an older document that cant print with an error, right-click on the document and remove it.
- However, if a printer job is paused, you can resume it from here.
- You may also click the Printer menu from here and verify that Use printer offline isn’t enabled. After checked this option, remove the check-mark to disable it.
Use the Printers Diagnostics:
You have need to use a diagnostic function that will clean the printers heads or nozzles, or it’ll realign them. Diagnostic function option will be in a slightly different place in each printer,by depending on the printers software. By using it, it can also help to fix problems with poor print quality. To get this option,
- Click on Start button.
- Then open the Devices and Printers window.
- Right-click of a printer.
- Click on Properties.
- Verify the options in here to see, what options are available for your particular printer. And fix the problem.
Update printer’s drivers:
Most of the printers require driver software to work properly.If you’ve recently upgraded any new version of Windows, it’s possible that the current printer driver is for the previous version of Windows not for new version off windows.Your printer’s driver may not work in this case.So, you may need to install, update, or reinstall the printer drivers if it isn’t working properly.For update, visit your printer manufacturers website then download their driver package, and run the driver installer.
If you follow these tasks properly then hopefully your printer’s problem will be solved.For troubleshooting problem, no need to call an engineer. You can fix it by own hand. And you can safely use your printer. Thanks for reading. Stay with us to get more useful issues.